Saturday 8 September 2012

Pina Colada Quinoa

In the past, if one were to mention "quinoa" it was usually followed with a quizzical expression by the one hearing the word. What on earth was "quinoa"? Until recently, that is, as this healthy little sprouted grain superfood has gained fast popularity in most circles and is now found at any number of restaurants. Taking the place of rice as a choice side in many dishes, it has a slight nutty taste and is a go to option for the health conscious at heart.

With that being said, I broke out my quinoa recipe book, and, at the advice of a friend who had made it, set about making myself some Pina Colada Quinoa. This tasty treat can be eaten as breakfast, as a nice snack during the day, for lunch, or a little later after supper, when you just want something a little sweet to sink your teeth into. Whenever it strikes your fancy actually :) It can be eaten hot or cold, however I prefer cold and allowed my little dishes to cool off in the fridge before indulging myself.


Pina Colada Quinoa


1 cup quinoa
One 14 oz (398 mL) can light coconut milk
One 14oz (398 mL) can crushed pineapple
1 Tbsp brown sugar (I used agave nectar)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a medium saucepan, bring the quinoa and coconut milk to a boil.
Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat
and leave the covered saucepan on the burner for an additional 6 minutes.


Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice
(I only had chunked pineapple, so I used my magic bullet to mulch it up a bit)


Stir 1/2 cup of the juice into the saucepan. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix well.
(I didn't measure my agave nectar, I just added what I thought looked right :) )

(vanilla and agave nectar)

Stir crushed pineapple into the mixture and serve. Store in the refrigerator
in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
(made 4 small dishes)

I garnished with the raspberries and it was delicious!

Happy Eating!

till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment