Thursday 14 March 2013

Flax Buns

I grew up to the heavenly aroma of warm, fresh bread wafting through our home. There's nothing like eating a slice of fresh baked bread, still hot from the oven, melting the layer of butter so recently spread upon it's surface. Light, airy, fluffy, melt in your mouth bread. The most perfect comfort food if ever there was one. No preservatives, fresh milled grains, made from scratch, absolutely divine.

I'm not one for baking bread like my mom, at least not yet. The idea of it is quite intimidating. Letting the yeast sit, mixing the dough, letting it rise, punching it down etc….it seems like quite a bit of work. I will venture forth one day, but for now, I look for easier ways to make bread that is not only safe for me to consume, but easy to make as well. It is my hope to try to recreate my childhood memories, only with a gluten free alternative. One day I will succeed, of that I am sure. :)

I came across just such a recipe (thank you pinterest) which seemed quite promising, so thought I would give it a go. I was most pleased with the results. Not only was this recipe easily executed, but the buns were quite tasty as well. This will be a repeat in our home for sure. No, it's not mom's bread, but it will definitely suffice. You can find the original recipe and blog from "Tastes for Everyday Life" here, or keep reading!

FLAX BUNS
(gluten-free, dairy-free)



Ingredients:

1 cup freshly ground flax meal
1/3 cup organic coconut flour
1/3 cup almond meal (fresh ground if possible)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
5 egg whites (set aside yokes for basting)
1 tsp celtic sea salt
Chia, sesame, & pumpkin seeds for top (optional)

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.




- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix.


- A sticky, wet dough should form, looking like this.


- Wet your hands and roll (in your hands) 4 large balls. Place your rolled buns on a stone or greased baking sheet.


- Use egg yokes and brush the top of each bun (optional) This will help give them a nice golden colour.


- Sprinkle sesame seeds, chia seeds and pumpkin seeds on the top (optional)


- Bake for approximately 25-27 minutes, or until the centre is firm and they are nice and golden on top.



Use as your "roll" for a turkey dinner, as your bun for a hamburger, your base for sloppy joes, to have as a snack, or whatever else your heart desires.

 Happy Eating!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment